Member Login

Beacon Hill Country Club logo

Beacon Hill History


1892: Highland Park Real Estate development was started, but the financial panic of 1893 brought a halt to real estate sales, by 1899 the few existing homeowners decided to use the land as a golf course. The Highland Club was formed, and parts of various streets were used as course hazards. 18-Hole tournaments consisted of 9 holes played in the morning and 9 holes in the afternoon.
 
November 18, 1915:  The Highland Golf Club officially becomes the Monmouth Country Club; a small clubhouse stood to the left of the present entrance to the club.
 
October 23, 1919: Beacon Hill Golf Club was incorporated. The clubhouse was a long low-strung building with brown shingles and white trim graced by a long porch overlooking the 9th green. There was a large men’s locker room, a pro shop, and a ladies locker room.
 
In the 1920’s the present 11th green area was the caddie yard with a large hedge and a caddy house. Maintenance was housed in a barn near the present 6th green: the equipment consisted of a large grass cutter and three mowers and all greens were cut with a manual mower.
 
In the 1930’s the club barely survived and only a few very dedicated members remained. On September 13, 1944 a fire completely destroyed the club house. Fortunately, some of the members were able to acquire an old barracks building from Fort Hancock at Sandy Hook which was erected at the present club house site and renovated to accommodate kitchen services and social events.
 
World War II drained the membership and club’s financial resources. This resulted in
the Club being unable to pay the real estate taxes and the property was put up for a tax sale by Middletown Township. Fortunately, a group of local businessmen and BHCC members came to the rescue, purchased the property, and in April 1946 subsequently reincorporated BHCC as a for-profit corporation. In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s the Board made serious improvements to the property.
 
An additional nine holes were built in 1961-1962 and June 1964 marked the official opening of 18 holes. By 1972 the membership grew, and the clubhouse was expanded; tennis courts and an Olympic size pool were added.
           
The Women’s Association was established in 1954. The junior golf program was started in the 1980’s and produced many excellent young golfers. In the late 80’s the exterior of the clubhouse was redesigned, and a new fa├žade was installed.  In the 90’s numerous redecorating projects further upgraded the interior including renovations to the men’s and women’s locker rooms.
 
1998-1999 saw major changes to the course with over $5 million dollars in improvements. Led by renowned golf course architect, Steven Kay, the course had been completely rebuilt and modernized hole by hole.
 
January 2006: Initial approvals were obtained to construct a new clubhouse facility and work on this spectacular new building with its magnificent view of the New York Skyline and Sandy Hook bay.
 
In summary, for over a century Beacon Hill Country Club has been providing golfing, recreational and social enjoyment to its members. Our club is special for many reasons but, most significantly, because of the warm, friendly, family atmosphere that emanates from its members and staff. 

Click here to take a step back in time.